I’m half way through my second year at uni, that means I am half way through my degree and I only started what feels like yesterday. Next year I will have to start looking for jobs so I can move onto the next stepping stone in life. But seriously… what do I do? All I know is that I don’t what to go into some dead end job, I want to do something that I am really passionate about but I just can’t quite put my finger on what that it. I have vague ideas of a couple areas that interest me but they are polar opposites, how does one choose? So it got me thinking, on this idea of conciousness and living in the now, that there is no point in wasting time waiting to be enlightened about what I want to do. Instead it is better that we do ever thing we can right this very moment that may lead us down our best path.
“It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing. It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive”. – Oriah Mountain Dreamer
Nobody is going to live our lives for us (not unless you’ve some evil twin clone!). You have to do it for yourself and its the same for everyone no matter how good a start in life ou may have been given. Accepting reality and the change that befalls us means we are one step closer to doing what we need or want to do with life because you can’t figure out the future.
So ask your self right now, am I doing my very best? Could you be postponing doing something to be following your dream? And it doesn’t even have to be big! Maybe you should be turning off the tv and going for a run, or drawing a picture, writing – anything! It is a good idea to build something small in your life. So many of us waste so much of our life doing things such as watching tv, social media, playing video games – living in a screen. Do this all your life and what do you have to show for it? But instead if you replaced some of that time wasted by doing something like drawing a picture, writing, starting a blog or even a business then you would have really accomplished something, gained skills and it could even lead to bigger and better things.
When you go vegan you become so much more aware of what you are eating. Especially as a new vegan when you find yourself having to look at the labels for absolutely everything until you become familiar with what you can and can’t consume. It not only raises your awareness of how ridiculously much animal products are used in everything but forces you to go out of your comfort zone (if you plan on being a healthly vegan) and discover amazing new foods, recipes and hacks that you wondered how you coped without before. Taking on this I have put together 8 of my favourite vegan life hacks that I have come across in so far in my time of being a vegan some of which I hope you will find useful!
- Okay so I have seen it every where, just recently tried it with a brownie mix and it amazes me how this even works but it does! If your in the mood for a bit of a sweet treat then if you have a dry cake mix (most of which are vegan but still don’t forget to check ) and instead of adding milk, egg or what ever the instructions say, you just add a can of fizzy drink, mix it up, bake it and voila!
- Coconut oil is not only a healthy cooking oil but it holds so many more positive properties, it acts as a great moisturiser for your skin and even hair – just use it like you’d use a conditioner! Some people even use it for whitening teeth!
- No ice-cream and you just have a yearning for it? Well keep some chopped up banana in your freezer then when you want some ice-cream just pop it in the blender and add any seasoning – I like a sprinkle of cinnamon! Then whizz it all up ’til smooth and silky and you’ve got a delicious ice cream.
- A recent find of mine is this brilliant app called ‘Is It Vegan?’ and it is so handy when you’re in store because it allows you to just scan the barcode of a product and it will tell you the ingredients and if it is vegan! It is so handy instead of trapsing through the ingredients list especially when animal product ingredients can sometimes be named some strange chemical sounding words haha.
- Olive oil can be used in so many ways and one of them is as a makeup remover! So if you want a cheap and easy cruelty free makeup remover then give olive oil a go – not to mention it’s highy moisturising. Just put a tiny drop on a damp cotton pad and wipe away! Since olive oil is close to the type of oil on your skin it also means it won’t clog your pores!
- Having a bad skin day? No problem just dab on a bit of tea tree oil to your blemish and that bad boy will be gone in no time. I absolutely love tea tree oil – it just smells amazing!
- If your hair is feeling a bit dry and lacklustre then rinse it out with some apple cider vinegar when washing it then whip out your fav sunnies ‘cos you best be prepared for that shine!
- Make your own salt spray by mixing 2 tablespoons or salt to 1 cup of water in a spray bottle, give it a good shake and then you can spray it on your damp hair and scrunch it a little as par usual. You can even add a couple of drops of essential oil to give it a luscious scent – vanilla is a classic!
2016 is a year that I want to start living more in the now, not in the past and not in the future of what I could do but in the present. It sounds so simple but really I don’t think enough of us live in the now. We can get stuck in a mind set of what could have been or what we are going to do next week or what we are putting off ’til tomorrow. But we should stop dwelling on this because you can’t change the past, what has happened has happened and we should learn to accept that. You don’t have to been the same person you were 5 minutes ago, why wait to improve yourself when you can make that change right now – be a better version of yourself right now. Don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today because we can have big dreams about all the things that we want to achieve but they are nothing but dreams unless you take action now. It can be hard to do this because change means stepping outside your comfort zone and taking a risk. But I want to start living more out of intent and less out of habit. Do that thing that you’ve always wanted to do but scares you because this is your life – who cares what anyone thinks? What are they going to do about it? And trust me once you’ve done it you will feel proud of yourself for taking that step whether you got the results you wanted or not. Taking an opportunity and that step outside of your comfort zone may be scary but you know what can be scarier? Regret – you will regret not taking them in the future which may only hinder your attempt to living in the now.
“Do something uncomfortable today. By stepping out of your box, you don’t have to settle for who you are – you get to create who you want to become”
– Howard Walstein
The world is getting smaller – we can know see everything from the comfort of our own home, but we can’t experience it. So take every chance you get to travel. Travel will open your eyes to life and teach you things you can’t be told. It will take you out of your own little world and force you to be part of the bigger picture, meet new people from all walks of life, hear striking stories and see new things. Perceptions will change and you will see things in a new light like never before. And travel doesn’t have to mean going across the world, no matter where you are you can embrace you surroundings are learn from them, just open your mind and really see what is around you. Travel requires you to put yourself out there and can leave you feeling a bit exposed because you don’t know now what will happen next, where to go or what will happen. But don’t worry because worrying won’t change anything, only actions will, so learn to embrace it.
I hope I didn’t ramble too much but this was just something I wanted to share for my New Years resolution! Please go tell me what your New Years resolution is! I would love to here!