When you go vegan you become so much more aware of what you are eating. Especially as a new vegan when you find yourself having to look at the labels for absolutely everything until you become familiar with what you can and can’t consume. It not only raises your awareness of how ridiculously much animal products are used in everything but forces you to go out of your comfort zone (if you plan on being a healthly vegan) and discover amazing new foods, recipes and hacks that you wondered how you coped without before. Taking on this I have put together 8 of my favourite vegan life hacks that I have come across in so far in my time of being a vegan some of which I hope you will find useful!
- Okay so I have seen it every where, just recently tried it with a brownie mix and it amazes me how this even works but it does! If your in the mood for a bit of a sweet treat then if you have a dry cake mix (most of which are vegan but still don’t forget to check ) and instead of adding milk, egg or what ever the instructions say, you just add a can of fizzy drink, mix it up, bake it and voila!
- Coconut oil is not only a healthy cooking oil but it holds so many more positive properties, it acts as a great moisturiser for your skin and even hair – just use it like you’d use a conditioner! Some people even use it for whitening teeth!
- No ice-cream and you just have a yearning for it? Well keep some chopped up banana in your freezer then when you want some ice-cream just pop it in the blender and add any seasoning – I like a sprinkle of cinnamon! Then whizz it all up ’til smooth and silky and you’ve got a delicious ice cream.
- A recent find of mine is this brilliant app called ‘Is It Vegan?’ and it is so handy when you’re in store because it allows you to just scan the barcode of a product and it will tell you the ingredients and if it is vegan! It is so handy instead of trapsing through the ingredients list especially when animal product ingredients can sometimes be named some strange chemical sounding words haha.
- Olive oil can be used in so many ways and one of them is as a makeup remover! So if you want a cheap and easy cruelty free makeup remover then give olive oil a go – not to mention it’s highy moisturising. Just put a tiny drop on a damp cotton pad and wipe away! Since olive oil is close to the type of oil on your skin it also means it won’t clog your pores!
- Having a bad skin day? No problem just dab on a bit of tea tree oil to your blemish and that bad boy will be gone in no time. I absolutely love tea tree oil – it just smells amazing!
- If your hair is feeling a bit dry and lacklustre then rinse it out with some apple cider vinegar when washing it then whip out your fav sunnies ‘cos you best be prepared for that shine!
- Make your own salt spray by mixing 2 tablespoons or salt to 1 cup of water in a spray bottle, give it a good shake and then you can spray it on your damp hair and scrunch it a little as par usual. You can even add a couple of drops of essential oil to give it a luscious scent – vanilla is a classic!